Subject: Re: New PortMaster for NetBSD/prep
To: None <port-prep@netbsd.org, port-ofppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 03/09/2006 19:18:36
On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 10:13:28 -0600
Cory Bajus <cbajus@mts.net> wrote:

> What is the real status of port-ofppc?=20
I am afraid to say: Mostly orphaned.

I did quite some work on ofppc about a year ago. I wrote PCI and ISA
attachments, pulled the whole interrupt code from port-prep to support
real interrupts, not just the fake OFW interrupt stuff. I have platform
dependent code for the Motorola PowerStack II (PReP with OFW) and the
IBM RS/6000 B50 and 43P-150 (7043-150). This code can be extended to
generic PReP and CHRP support.

Unfortunately I got stuck with strange problems accessing the PCI
hardware on the PowerStack II. Maybe someone else has more success. So
I gave up on that machine and concentrated on the CHRP support. After
hacking some time on the CHRP interrupt code I got distracted by other
interrests... (There is some nasty bug in that code and I have no good
idea how to hunt it.)

State is: IBM RS/6000 B50 and 43P-150 (with a bit of hacking maybe any
CHRP machine) detect all PCI and ISA devices but they hang when they
try to mount root as interrupts don't work. Similar for the PowerStack
II / PReP. Once I got the PowerStack II as far as mounting a MFS root
and emit packets on an add on ex(4) PCI card.

Also: I had the cance to do some tests on a Pegasos PPC. It may be not
that hard to get this beast supported too.

If there is someone with interrest I can port my old patches to -current
and put them on the net. I don't wane commit it in this state as it will
fsck up port-ofppc. (Hmmm. Maybe I chould commit anyway. Maybe enough
people get anoyed to help me fix the remaining issues. ;-) )
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen