Subject: Re: New PortMaster for NetBSD/prep
To: Cory Bajus <cbajus@mts.net>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-prep
Date: 03/07/2006 11:55:53
On 07-Mar-2006 Cory Bajus wrote:
> I can't help you with a 6015, but I do have access to 7025-F30 and
> 7025-F40 systems.  Is there anything I can contribute to help with
> hardware supprt for these?  The F40 is a dual processor box which
> could be useful when the time comes to work on SMP.

I very much want access to a 7025 model machine.  The 7025 from my
understanding is a dual-architecture machine, and the last in the prep line.
From what I've read about it, it has both the residual data that defines a prep
machine, and open firmware.  Theoretically it could run either port-prep or
port-ofppc.

I would like to finish the other things on my todo list first.. but I do plan
on taking the 7025 on in the future.

If you wanted to get a jumpstart on it yourself.. here is what you can do, and
what anyone wanting to port NetBSD/prep to thier machine should do:

Download a -current CVS tree from anoncvs
edit sys/arch/prep/conf/GENERIC and enable RESIDUAL_DATA_DUMP by uncommenting it
cross compile a kernel using the build.sh stuff..  something like:
./build.sh -m prep kernel=GENERIC
cd into sys/arch/prep/stand/mkbootimage
build that with your native compiler
you then need a boot_com0 boot image (to boot with serial console).  you can
cross build one from the stuff in stand, or I have one you can download at:
http://www.garbled.net/tmp/bootcom0

Then cd to sys/arch/prep/stand:
gzip -c ../../prep/compile/obj/GENERIC/netbsd > /tmp/netbsd.gz
mkbootimage/mkbootimage bootcom0 /tmp/boot.fs /tmp/netbsd.gz

That file is directly netbootable with bootpd and tftp.

Once you get it booted, save the output, and send it to the list.  Once you
have that data, making NetBSD run on the machine is relatively trivial,
assuming it really is PReP compliant. (which that output should tell us)

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/