Subject: Re: IBM 6015 (40p) won't boot installer.
To: Klaus Klein <kleink@mibh.de>
From: Patrick Finnegan <vax@purdue.edu>
List: port-prep
Date: 11/03/2005 13:41:38
On Thursday 03 November 2005 03:56, Klaus Klein wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 21:50:08 -0500
>
> Patrick Finnegan <vax@purdue.edu> wrote:
> > It's listed in the "supported hardware" list for NetBSD/prep, and
> > there's a news item on the port page saying that support for the
> > machine was added on 2004/06/26, which is why I bothered trying
> > NetBSD anyways.
>
> Exactly.  However, the creation of the 2.x release branch predates
> this; the first release to support this machine will be 3.0.  Daily
> snapshots of this release branch (netbsd-3) are available from
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-3/ .

There's at least one problem with all of the images there... they're all
bigger than a floppy disk.  The sysinst_com0.fs image I was going to
try is nearly 40kB bigger than a disk.

I guess I could try making a boot harddrive... put a type 0x41 partition
on a hard drive, dd the image to it, and try booting from the disk.
Still, it'd be a lot more convenient to be able to use a floppy or
netboot.

> > > How are you booting the kernel by the way? I had trouble
> > > initially until I netbooted. But I have a different box.
> >
> > dd image to floppy, boot off floppy.
> >
> > I can't netboot, as this machine doesn't have a built-in network
> > interface, and I don't seem to have a compatible card.
>
> In case you can get hands on that particular model there's also the
> option of installing a vanilla 3C509 card for which a firmware driver
> is available, too.

Got any details on this?  I shoved a 3c509 into the machine but it
didn't seem to recognize it right away, I'm guessing that I need some
firmware file from somewhere to make this work..

Pat
--
Purdue University Research Computing --  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcac