Subject: Re: Installing 2.0.2 onto IBM 7248-100
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-prep
Date: 07/28/2005 09:37:46
On 7/28/05, Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 05:52:41 -0700 Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> > Somehow when I originally did fdisk and disklabel, my "a" partition
> > started from the front of the disk which is no good. I guess you need
> > to pay special attention on these when you do your fdisk and disklabel
> > partitioning? It all seems kind of hokey the way it works compared to
> > other ports, but it's working so I can't complain too much.
> port-prep has not that much users so not that much bugreports and bugfixe=
s get back... Most users stumble over the first installation but when they =
finaly got a running system the system keeps running and running...

I can open a bug report. Are we saying that the disklabel on prep
should behave like the others where "c" is the NetBSD part of the disk
and "d" is the entire disk?

> > The obvious question is, can we get a bootloader which understands how
> > to go to the proper root disk instead of putting a kernel at the front
> > of the disk and hacking around with the fdisk partitions every time we
> > want a new kernel? That would be really nice...
> I suspect the bigest problem with this is to find someone with the time a=
nd motivation to do this. Technically this should be no real problem.

Don't forget skill... I have motivation but not too much time. But if
I had the skill, I would start working on it. I'm not a C coder,
unfortunately.

Thanks for your help. I've started writing a post to the list that
should clear up some questions about some of this stuff.

Andy