Subject: Re: Installing 2.0.2 onto IBM 7248-100
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 07/26/2005 09:24:45
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:37:19 -0700
Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com> wrote:

> > # dd if=3Dbugs1.fs of=3D/dev/sd0d seek=3D64
> > dd: /dev/sd0d: Device not configured
> >=20
> > Where bugs1.fs is the name of the boot image I created and
> > successfully netbooted.
You need to dd(1) this image beginning with sector 0. I.e. omit the
"seek" parameter.

> > Also, following convention, the "d" partition in disklabel is
> > suppposed to cover the entire disk, right? Well, this isn't the case
> > for me:
This is a bit broken in prep, it seems. Usually I edit the disklabel so
the "c" slice coveres the entire disk from sector "0" to the end. Then I
dd(1) the boot image to slice "c".

> > Partition table:
> > 0: Linux/MINIX (sharing disk with DRDOS) or Personal RISC boot
> > (sysid 65)
> >     start 64, size 16000 (8 MB, Cyls 0/1/2-0/254/63), Active
> > 1: NetBSD (sysid 169)
> >     start 16065, size 17758095 (8671 MB, Cyls 1-1106/99/34)
> > 2: <UNUSED>
> > 3: <UNUSED>
> >=20
> > Any thoughts? Something doesn't look right in there... I think I
> > might have to re-do the disk...
> >=20
> > Thanks!
> >=20
>=20
> Ok, I definitely need to redo the disk. I didn't realize that the a
> partition starts from the begining. That's a problem.
dd(1) the boot image to sector 0. This will overwrite the MBR partition
table. The image contains its own MBR partition table with a valid boot
partition. Edit this MBR partition table so that the NetBSD partition
starts and ends at the same sectors as before. Don't touch the boot
partition and everything will be fine. No need to reinstall.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen