Subject: Porting to two PPC CPCI SBCs + Re: make dependencies for ".BEGIN"
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@tac.gw.com>
From: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
List: port-prep
Date: 05/04/2005 09:57:15
	version=3.0.2
Sender: port-prep-owner@NetBSD.org

First, a quick question...  I see that Christos and at least one other
person have fixed some of the files listed, other files such as
prep/stand/boot/Makefile are still needing fixed.  I was wondering if
anyone knew when prep/stand/boot/Makefile might possibly be fixed?
This is making it a real pain to do my nightly builds which I am using
to work on a port to the Motorola MCP-750 and Force CPCI-680.

Also, was there a message posted warning about the possible breakage
of builds when the changes to make were checked in?  Besides the two
messages in this thread, I could find none.  By my count, builds for
at least 7 different ports besides i386 were broken by this fix, and
something like this ideally should have warranted a heads up.

BTW, for those who are wondering, these CPCI cards show some promise.
From my reading, the MCP-750 appears to be configurable to be fully
compliant with v1.1 of the PREP specification.  It is presenting the
residual data as expected, and it will manually boot a binary
boot_com0 image from across the network.  Unfortunately, it does
something odd when autobooting which I have yet to fully diagnose, but
may have to do with a bug in PPCBUG not loading the image and
executing it properly.  I have been working on producing a library for
interfacing with PPCBUG, and once I get that done, I will be writing a
bootloader which will configure the Raven and Falcon chips and load a
kernel using DHCP and TFTP.

As for the CPCI-680, it appears to be at least partially compliant
with PREP v1.1, but boot_com0 hangs totally and requires a reset to
clear.  It may be that the registers are not being set properly when
transferring control over to boot_com0.  I figure after I get a boot
loader working on the MCP-750, I will try to get something going on
this board as well.  It may be that I will have to write a new
firmware and flash to these boards.  We shall see.

- Doug

Quoting Christos Zoulas (christos@tac.gw.com):

--
Douglas Wade Needham - KA8ZRT        UN*X Consultant & UW/BSD kernel programmer
Email:  cinnion @ ka8zrt . com       http://cinnion.ka8zrt.com