Subject: Re: IBM RS/6000 - more trouble or just my terminal?
To: None <port-prep@netbsd.org>
From: Keith Bennett <kanezor@gmail.com>
List: port-prep
Date: 01/31/2005 11:45:27
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:50:26 -0600, Keith Bennett <kanezor@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:15:24 -0500, Rongsheng Fang <rfang@cs.gmu.edu> wrote:
> > > As for the installation... like I said earlier, I'm new to *BSD (new
> > > to any *nix for that matter). I loaded up the sysinst program, and
> > > tried installing... selected Full installation, when it asked if I
> > > wanted to edit the MBR or use entire disk, I selected the entire disk,
> > > it then asked "Yes or no?" with no information regarding it... wtf,
> > > eh?
> >
> > > I selected no, and it brought me to the question of set sizes of
> > > NetBSD partitions or use existing partition sizes... I selected use
> > > existing partition sizes, it then brought me to a diagram of the
> > > partitions, I selected partition sizes OK, and it then said "You can
> > > either edit the partition table by hand, or give up and rturn to the
> > > main menu." ... "Edit the partition table again?", and it presents me
> > > with Yes, which brings me back to that diagram, or no which brings me
> > > back to the main menu.
> >
> > Reading through Jochen Kunz's tutorial on the 43p-140 installation
> > might help you out:
> >
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-prep/2005/01/25/0002.html
> >
> > Rongsheng
> >

> Actually, I just finished reading and following along about two hours
> ago. I was able to partition my drive and (I assume) get NetBSD 2.0
> installed. But the moment I reboot, it brings me back into AIX. I
> really don't like the idea that it's bringing me back to AIX, if
> NetBSD overwrote some key files... well, I'm sure you know what could
> happen.
>
> I had gotten it once to load up the NetBSD stuff, but then it did some
> sort of error (I suppose it was a panic?) and said that it couldn't
> find something. All the commands I tried didn't work, so I rebooted,
> tried reinstalling, and it let me back into AIX.
>
> Kinda weird.
>
> If anyone would like to assist me in realtime (on AIM or IRC or
> somesuch), please privately email me.

I got it able to boot into NetBSD from the hard drive again (I think
the thing was that I was forgetting to dd the sysinst_com0.fs,
hopefully...), but it's still panicking:

Here's what my terminal has on its screen at the moment:
RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000
RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000
RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000 RS/6000

>> NetBSD/prep BOOT, Revision 1.5
>> (builds@build, Mon Dec  6 00:12:27 UTC 2004)

Boot: Loading in()
3537044+185960=0x38d160