Subject: Re: netbsd 2.0 on rs6000 43p, what I've been able to do so far, and
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Tim Gallagher <tim.gallagher@earthlink.net>
List: port-prep
Date: 01/26/2005 20:03:15
1.  What does "IIRC" mean?  Not familiar with that abbreviation.
2.  NetBSD booted from generic_com0.fs or sysinst_com0.fs does not like
my Linux nfs server, which supposedly, is a BSD port.  It was the only
version I could find, but I really don't have to have it, I don't care
to do nfs anyway.  My Linux box is running Gentoo x86 2004.1 with updates.
3.  When I try to boot from disk, it cascades thru the boot options
(floppy, cd, disk, net) and finally tries to find a BOOTP server to send
it it's disk image via tftp.
4.  Kernel compile?  One step at a time, I am a long-time Linux bithead
(since 1994), and a UNIX admin for 14 years, but I know damned little
about bsd.
5. No X, huh?  Can I at least run X remotely to an X display on another
machine?  Anybody wanna kick-ass GXT800P video card?  I think the damned
thing sold for over $10,000 US originally.  Think I'll sell it on eBay

Two excerpts below:

Excerpt from session log:
boot device: <unknown>
root device: sd0a                                           <-- Manual
entry of sd0a
dump device (default sd0b):                          <-- Manual entry of
<ENTER>
file system (default generic):                          <-- Manual entry
of <ENTER>
root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
sd0(esiop0:0:0:0): command timeout, CDB: 0x25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
esiop0: scsi bus reset
sd0: async, 8-bit transfers, tagged queueing
cd0: async, 8-bit transfers
sd0: sync (100.00ns offset 8), 16-bit (20.000MB/s) transfers, tagged
queueing
root file system type: ffs
init path (default /sbin/init):                          <-- Manual
entry of <ENTER>
init: trying /sbin/init
Thu Jan 27 00:18:55 GMT 2005
swapctl: adding /dev/sd0b as swap device at priority 0
Checking for botched superblock upgrades: done.

Excerpt from session log:
ganymede # mount 192.168.0.5:/u /mnt
ganymede # pwd
/