Subject: Re: Install on IBM 7248-133 PReP PowerPC
To: Daniel Berg <daniel@wardriver.net>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 03/30/2004 10:00:06
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:36:47 +0200
Daniel Berg <daniel@wardriver.net> wrote:

> I have a IBM RS/6000 7248-133 here waiting to be installed.
This is a PReP machine. Therefore I X-posted this to port-prep. Please
move this discussion to port-prep.

Have a look at the port-prep archive. The installer for prep is broken.
There are several mails explaining how to get the machine installed and
bootable.

Also: 1.6.1 is broken on prep. 1.6.2 may be broken too. If you get
problems like "init: not found" you are bitten by that problem. Then you
have to use 1.6 on that maschine.

> The machine accesses the bootdisk (sysinst.fs form NetBSD 1.6.2
> Release) and loads for a few minutes. Still only the PowerPC logo gets
> shown, and after the load finishes nothing more happens.
There are images with local wscons console and images with serial
console. (*_com0.*) Maybe you used a serial image by accident?

> I tried booting from the network interface as well, and i see incoming
> bootp requests, but i am again not sure what kernel files the machine
> would want on the tftp server. again i cannot find any documentation
> on this.
[note to myself: update NetBSD netboot HOWTO for PReP]
You can use the floppy images as tftp bootfile.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen