Subject: Re: 7248: pci or no pci, that is the question
To: None <port-prep@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 02/13/2004 13:56:13
On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 07:28:25AM -0500, Sam Carleton wrote:

> It is my impression that I will have to build my own
> kernel that has IDE support.
Looks so.

> It is my understanding that
> I can build the prep kernel on my i386 NetBSD machine with the
> correct flags.  Correct?
Yes.

> If this is the case, can I also
> build it on a SPARC machine running Solaris 8 with gcc?  I
> ask because the SPARC is faster and had a lot more HD
> space:)
This should work. In theory NetBSD is cross buildable from any POSIX
environement. There sould be suitable documentation on the NetBSD web
site about cross building.

> Ok, so I am assuming I am correct on everything so far.
> Once the kernel is built, how do I build the sysinst
> floppy?  I will need to make a .fs file because I will
> have to make the floppy on a Windows machine.
Modify the GENERIC and INSTALL kernel config files and do a
./build.sh <what additional options you ever need> release
and you will get a complete installation set.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen