Subject: Re: 7248: pci or no pci, that is the question
To: NetBSD port-prep <port-prep@netbsd.org>
From: Sam Carleton <scarleton-prep@miltonstreet.com>
List: port-prep
Date: 02/13/2004 07:28:25
On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 09:44:36AM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:13:55 -0500
> Charles Fultz <fultz@cs.purdue.edu> wrote:
>
> > > fdisk: /dev/wd0: Device not configured
> > > fdisk: /dev/wd0a: Device not configured
> [...]
> > It is likely that the kernel for PReP does not
> > have IDE support.
> [jkunz@SirTobie jkunz]$ egrep 'wd|pciide'
> /usr/src/sys/arch/prep/conf/GENERIC
> wdc0    at obio? port 0x1f0 irq 13
> wdc1    at obio? port 0x170 irq 13
> wdc*    at isapnp?
> wdc*    at pcmcia? function ?
> # and mode settings (e.g. some pciide controllers)
> wd*     at wdc? channel ? drive ? flags 0x0000
> atapibus* at wdc? channel ?
>
> So no pciide at pci, this may be the problem. Sam, do you see anything
> about a "wd" disk in the output when the kernel searches devices on
> bootup?

Jochen,

That is an excellent question which I will answer when I
get home.  Current I am at work.  But I am suspicious that
I, too, will be lacking IDE support.  The question
remains, what to do if that is the case.

It is my impression that I will have to build my own
kernel that has IDE support.  It is my understanding that
I can build the prep kernel on my i386 NetBSD machine with the
correct flags.  Correct?  If this is the case, can I also
build it on a SPARC machine running Solaris 8 with gcc?  I
ask because the SPARC is faster and had a lot more HD
space:)

Ok, so I am assuming I am correct on everything so far.
Once the kernel is built, how do I build the sysinst
floppy?  I will need to make a .fs file because I will
have to make the floppy on a Windows machine.

Sam