Subject: Re: 7248: making progress
To: Sam Carleton <scarleton-prep@miltonstreet.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 02/13/2004 09:57:05
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:57:09 -0500
Sam Carleton <scarleton-prep@miltonstreet.com> wrote:

> That was it!  It does appear that there si something wrong
> with the 1.6.1 floppy.  Now my next problem...
Not olny the floppy. I had this problem with a self compiled kernel.
Grmbl. Maybe I can free some time to debug this.

> I am trying to create the the inital partition for the
> boot code.=20
You can create this partition by writing the generic.fs floppy image to
the raw disk. This makes your disk bootable. Then invoke fdisk on the
disk. You will see the boot partition. Create a new partition that
starts behind the boot partition and reaches to the end of the disk.
Make this partition of type NetBSD.

> From looking at section
> "3.3.3 Partitions" of the install guide, it looks like the
> disklabel is what others might call a logical partition.
Yes. the disklabel resides inside the NetBSD partition. It divides the
NetBSD partition into different slices. Slice "a" is allways the root
file system, "b" is allways swap, "c" is allways the whole BSD part of
the disk (i.e. the NetBSD partition), "d" is the whole disk. "e" etc.
are free to use like you want.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen