Subject: 7248: making progress
To: NetBSD port-prep <port-prep@netbsd.org>
From: Sam Carleton <scarleton-prep@miltonstreet.com>
List: port-prep
Date: 02/12/2004 21:57:09
On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 09:48:11AM +0100, Jochen Kunz
wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:18:23 -0500 Sam Carleton wrote:
>
> > init: not found
> > panic: no init
>
> I had this problem with NetBSD 1.6.1 on a machine. I
> thought it was a problem of this particular machine.
> Maybe it is a problem of NetBSD 1.6.1. Can you try the
> floppy images from the NetBSD 1.6 release from September
> 2002?

That was it!  It does appear that there si something wrong
with the 1.6.1 floppy.  Now my next problem...

I am trying to create the the inital partition for the
boot code.  Now mind you, I have replaced the SCSI drive
with an IDE drive.  The drive is free of any partitions.
When I run "fdisk -u /dev/wd0" and "fdisk -u /dev/wd0a",
I get this:

fdisk: /dev/wd0: Device not configured
fdisk: /dev/wd0a: Device not configured

I saw something about runing simply 'fdisk -u" and I get
the error:

fdisk: /dev/rmd0c: No such file or directory

Any thoughts on what I should do next?

I am also reading ahead and pondering step 3 of Jesse's
"7248 Install success!" email. From looking at section
"3.3.3 Partitions" of the install guide, it looks like the
disklabel is what others might call a logical partition.
And a quick glance over the man page, it looks like this
is setting up a label on the disk like I see in Windows.
Is this correct?

I am completely confused with with step 4.  Jesse, are you
installing over a pre-existing netBSD install?

Sam