Subject: Re: installing on a 7248
To: NetBSD port-prep <port-prep@netbsd.org>
From: Sam Carleton <scarleton-prep@miltonstreet.com>
List: port-prep
Date: 02/11/2004 06:11:33
On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 12:03:32AM -0500, BSDNews wrote:
> From what I gather by reading this mailing list,
> investigating a number of sites on the issue and
> attempting such a process on a RS/6000 of my own, the
> most reliable  way by far (IMHO) is netboot your machine
> using a boot disk, after which setting up your harddrive
> with the correct partitions.

Hum, this is an interesting approach.  When I tried to
boot off the generic.fs, it did aquire an IP address from
my dhcp server.  Is there documentation somewhere talking
about how to do a install this way?

> Another way suggested to me was to slave my scsi disk
> onto an existing OS, such as NetBSD, and
> partition/format/install  from there (I have not tried
> this, but the theory seems logical).

I had thought about this, but I am not 100% sure how to do
it:)  If I where to stick the HD into a i386 machine,
would I do a normal i386 install and then simply swap
kernels?

Sam