Subject: RE: Installing NetBSD onto a Motorola PowerStack Series E
To: 'Jochen Kunz' <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Chesterton Andrew-BLUW13 <andrew.chesterton@motorola.com>
List: port-prep
Date: 07/29/2003 17:36:49
-----Original Message-----
From: Jochen Kunz [mailto:jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de]
Sent: 29 July 2003 15:18
To: Chesterton Andrew-BLUW13
Cc: port-prep@NetBSD.org

On 2003.07.29 13:16 Chesterton Andrew-BLUW13 wrote:

>> Can Anybody Help?
>Depends? ;-)

>> I have a Motorola PowerStack Series E Machine, Model E604-100P.
>What kind of firmware does it have? Maybe OpenFirmWare?

It is running PPCBug V1.7 (the AIX version not the NT version)

>> The blurb that I have about the PowerStack says that the motherboard
>> is fully compliant with the PowerPC Reference Platform Spec (Rev1.0).
>The PReP spec is a bit vague, IMHO. It leaves some space for implementation dependent bits, like interrupt handling.

>> The last couple of lines on the screen are shown below:
>>
>> Md0: internal 2048KB image area
>> Boot device: <unknown>
>> Root on md0a dumps on md0b
>> Trap: kernel ISI by 0xbf8002e0 (SRR1 0x40009032)
>> Panic: trap
>> Syncing disks ... done
>> Dumpsys: TBD
>> Rebooting ...
>So it does print all the lines about found devices?
>What devices did it find?
>It seams that it crashes when it tries to mount the root-fs. This is quite a lot for an unknowen machine. The problem may be >the interrupt handling. The NetBSD kernel needs to know a few machine dependent bits about your particular type of hardware. >It shoud be easy to fix with a bit kernel hacking and hardware documentation.

I have created the Com port boot disk and this is the captured output when the system boots:

PPC1-Diag>pboot 1 0
Booting from: PC8477, Controller 1, Dri
Device Name : /pci@80000000/pci8086,484@b,0/PNP0700@3f0/floppy@0

IPL Loaded at: $01E1B000
Residual-Data Located at: $01F80000

>> NetBSD/prep BOOT, Revision 1.5
>> (autobuild@tgm.daemon.org, Tue Apr  8 22:30:01 UTC 2003)

Boot: Loading in()
3787208+147376=0x3c0b64
start=0x100000

Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
    The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights

NetBSD 1.6.1 (INSTALL) #0: Tue Apr  8 22:43:36 UTC 2003
    autobuild@tgm.daemon.org:/autobuild/netbsd-1-6/prep/OBJ/autobuild/netbsd-1-6
/src/sys/arch/prep/compile/INSTALL
Model: (e1)
total memory = 32768 KB
avail memory = 25112 KB
using 435 buffers containing 1740 KB of memory
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: 604 (Revision 3.3), ID 0 (primary)
cpu0: HID0 c084<ICE,DCE,SGE,BHT>
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: indirect configuration space access
pci0: i/o space, memory space enabled
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0
pchb0: vendor 0x1057 product 0x0001 (rev. 0x24)
pchb0: L2 cache: 256K, uniprocessor/none mode
pcib0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0
pcib0: PIRQ[0]=10 PIRQ[1]=11 PIRQ[2]=14 PIRQ[3]=15
pcib0: vendor 0x8086 product 0x0484 (rev. 0x43)
siop0 at pci0 dev 12 function 0: Symbios Logic 53c825 (fast wide scsi)
pci_intr_map: no mapping for pin A
siop0: couldn't map interrupt
tlp0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0: DECchip 21040 Ethernet, pass 2.3
pci_intr_map: no mapping for pin A
tlp0: unable to map interrupt
tlp0: unable to map interrupt
n 0 not configured
isa0 at pcib0
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
com0: console
com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3: ns16550a, working fifo
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x64
lpt0 at isa0 port 0x3bc-0x3bf irq 7
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
isabeep0 at pcppi0
isapnp0 at isa0 port 0x279: ISA Plug 'n Play device support
fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB, 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
isapnp0: no ISA Plug 'n Play devices found
biomask 40 netmask 40 ttymask c0
md0: internal 2048 KB image area
boot device: <unknown>
root on md0a dumps on md0b
trap: kernel ISI by 0xbf8002e0 (SRR1 0x40009032)
panic: trap
syncing disks... done
dumpsys: TBD
rebooting...

>> I have tried booting the machine headless using a serial cable to trap
>> the screen output, but as soon as the machine starts to boot from the
>> floppy, it doesn't output anything else via the serial cable, if there
>> is a way to get round this problem, then I could post all the screen
>> information.
>You need a kernel with console hardwired to com0. Try sysinst_com0.fs

Thanks, works a treat.

>> I am new to the Linux operating system,
>This is not Linux. This is a NetBSD mailing list. Linux and NetBSD are two independent and different operating systems. They >both are free and Unix-like, but thats all they have in common.

Sorry, I was trying to be generalistic about my lack of UNIX knowledge, it won't happen again. Looking at the website (www.netbsd.org) I was very impressed by the diverse range of platforms that are supported by the OS, that is why I tried NetBSD as an OS for the PowerStack. I thought if any OS will run on these things, it will be this one.

Thanks,
	Andy