Subject: Re: Installing netbsd/prep on ibm rs/6000 7043-43p
To: Arpi <arpi@thot.banki.hu>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@maja.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 06/06/2003 15:56:02
On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 03:47:22PM +0200, Arpi wrote:

> > 	- mount the extracted root on rs6k via nfs
> huh, how?
RTFHOWTO: http://www.de.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/
Especially section 4. Setting up the NFS server
http://www.de.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/nfs.html

> booting the image reults:
>
> root device:
> use one of: pcn0 sd0[a-h] sd1[a-h] cd0[a-h] sd2[a-h] sd3[a-h] ddb halt reboot
OK, no RAM disk (md0) with the instalation tools. So you have to go
the NFS road.

> root device: pcn0
> dump device:
> // what is 'dump' device? swap?
The device the kernel will use to dump a core image onto if it crashes.
Usually the swap space.

> nfs_boot: getfh - no pathname
> no file system for pcn0
> cannot mount root, error = 79
> // so, how/where can i tell it the IP address of NFS server and the path on it?
/etc/dhcpd.conf on your dhcp-server. See:
http://www.de.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/dhcpd.html
example dhcpd.conf:
http://www.de.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/dhcpd.conf

> I'm new to bsd, i'm using and administrating linux and AIX since ages, but
> never seen/use/install *bsd yet.
Well, AIX is - uhhm - different. If you are used to Linux in the sense of
"I know which menu to choose from Yast / ControlPanel / XDrake / ..."
you will have to learn. If you are a Linux user of the type "My file
manager is /bin/bash and my desktop is a bunch of xterms" then you
will feel comfortable with NetBSD soon.
Unfortunately NetBSD on PReP hardware has some issues in the installation,
but it runs very well once you got it installed.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen