Subject: Re: NetBSD/prep on RS/6000 7024 E20
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Jarkko Santala <jake@santala.org>
List: port-prep
Date: 01/16/2003 13:24:32
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> Well. With a look at your dmesg, it should be not that hard to get the
> machine working as autoconfig already starts. Maybe only a few hours for
> an experienced kernel hacker. But unfortunately I am only a novice and
> you are no coder at all.

Exactly as I figured, probably not a big deal if one knows how to do it.
:)

> > Afaik it is prep and not openfirmware,
> There are PReP machines with openfirmware like the Motorola PowerStack
> II am hacking support for at the moment. PReP is the system (hardware)
> architecture. It can use different types of firmware and OpenFirmware is
> one possibility.

Ahh, ok. :) I believe this is the first PowerPC I've played with so the
terminology might be a bit off.

> > I can boot a debian/prep kernel quite a bit further and I've read
> > reports that people have had a full Linux system running on the same
> > model.
> Where does the Linux kernel stop and what kernel version is it?
> I had big problems installing debian on 43p-100 (7248) as kernel 2.2.x
> hangs when it trys to scan the SCSI bus on the NCR / Symbios 53C810
> adapter. Kernel 2.4 just worked.

It stops at the SCSI adapter, probably just like yours. I don't have the
bookmarks here for the guy who got it up and running. I'll probably
investigate running Linux a bit more unless someone steps up willing to
work on getting NetBSD running on it. :)

	-jake

--
Jarkko Santala <jake@iki.fi>            http://www.iki.fi/~jake/
System Administrator                    2001:670:83:f08::/64