Subject: Re: root+swap device
To: Jesse Peterson <jpeterson275@attbi.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 01/09/2003 10:54:29
On 2003.01.09 01:52 Jesse Peterson wrote:

> > You need to recompile the kernel and hardcode the root-device in
> > the kernel config. Somthing like:
> > config  netbsd  root on sd0 type ?
> That's what I figured.  Thanks, I'll have to look in the documentation
> on how to build a NetBSD kernel=20
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/index.html#how_to_build_a_kern=
el
Kernel installation is somwhat different, as the kernel isn't loaded as
/netbsd. You need to dd a bootimage to the disk. See
/usr/src/sys/arch/prep/stand/README how to creat this image. Save the
output of fdisk and disklabel bevor dd-ing the image to disk, so that
you are able to restore the old partition tables. (Imediately after
dd-ing the image!)

> and wait the hours+ it'll take on this 133mhz beast. =3D)
You never worked with VAXen? ;-)
When I remember right, my 100 MHz machine needed about one hour to build
a kernel. My MicroVAX 4000-200 needs this time for "make depend" and the
MV4k2 is one of the faster QBus VAXen.=20
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
         Jochen