Subject: Re: 1.6 on Estrella
To: None <walter@pelissero.org>
From: Klaus Klein <kleink@reziprozitaet.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 10/17/2002 21:16:47
"Walter C. Pelissero" <walter@pelissero.org> writes:

> I've tried to net-boot the latest NetBSD 1.6 for PREP architecture
> (ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/prep/installation/floppy/sysinst.fs)
> But all I got was a blank screen after loading the file.  The monitor
> dectected lack of signal.

I have also received a separate report from another user, where the
system reboots immediately when mounting the root file system. I've
been able to reproduce this, and found it restricted to kernels
containing a ramdisk, but unrelated to whether that ramdisk or a
different medium is to be mounted. I'm still looking into that.

> The machine is a Bull Estrella and the boot screen says PowerPC 604e,
> 200MHz.

That, however, doesn't quite sound like it's an Estrella 200, the only
model currently supported. (The 200, a desktop system, is based on the
Motorola Ultra Plus or Ultra 60x board, which only supports CPU clock
speeds up to 133 MHz.) Can you tell us a little more about this
machine? Is it possibly a 300, which comes in a small tower case?

(FWIW, this would also fit the description of the boot process; a 200
should at least go through device autoconfiguration.)

- Klaus