Subject: Re: Installing on an RS/6000 43P-140
To: None <port-prep@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 09/08/2002 18:49:11
On 2002.09.08 17:42 Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> I found the file on the main netbsd ftp server in:
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/prep/tmp/
> It's the only file in that directory.
Ahh, I always used the stuff from releng.netbsd.org...

> I've just tried the newest sysinst image:
> ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/200209060000/prep/installation=
/floppy/sysinst_com0.fs.gz
> It has the same problem of panicing that the May 'official' snapshot
> does:
>=20
> panic: intr_establish: can't share level-triggered with edge-triggered
> irq 7
Seams like you have the chance to help one of the NetBSD developers to
improve the PREP port. ;-)

> In fact, it seems that the file '7043boot.fs' is the only thing I can
> make boot on here besides my set of IBM diagnostics, which isn't=20
> useful as an OS.
Bad. When it asks for a root-fs, you can enter the name of a network
interface. The kernel will try bootp and then NFS to mount a NFS
root-fs... At least the kernel should do that. ;-)

> I think you mean 41 -- 'PPC Prep Boot'. =20
0x41 =3D=3D 65=20

> All I've had to do on linux is dd a new zImage.prep into the 'boot
> partition'.  I'm sure there's something similar for netBSD.
I know. We have some 43P-100 and 43P-133 at the Unix-AG runing Debian
Linux. The problem is that I don't know what file format this kernel
image has to be (plain ELF?) and that I am to stupid to get correct
access to the boot partition. This MBR / fdisk / mbrlabel / DOS-PeeCee
partitioning sh** bares any logic.=20

> Yes, a 7043 vs a 7248.  What file exactly is the kernel that I need to
> be able to net-boot it?  Should I be able to just use a plain kernel -
> like netbsd.INSTALL.gz, or do I need one of the sysinst.fs files?
I don't know. I used generic.fs and sysinst.fs from
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/200208110000/prep/installation/f=
loppy/
and it simply worked. generic.fs is what I dd-ed to the disk to make it
bootable.=20
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
         Jochen