Subject: Re: orphaned NT4 machines
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-prep
Date: 05/08/2001 23:12:56
On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 02:41:11PM +0900, Toru Nishimura wrote:

 > The included is the complete excerpt from NT4 Hardware Compatibility
 > List (it's a version out of a retale box).  I think they are subject
 > of NetBSD/prep category and only a few are listed there.  There were
 > fewer hardware variations than the following excerpt.  Note that these
 > machines were on market at the age when Pentium 133 was ranked in the
 > top notch.
 >
 > Did anyone have any luck?

 > FirePower Powerized ES3100
 > FirePower Powerized ES380
 > FirePower Powerized ES4100

 > FirePower Powerized LX 4150/2
 > FirePower Powerized MX 4100/2
 > FirePower Powerized MX 4120/2
 > FirePower Powerized MX 4133/2
 > FirePower Powerized MX 4150/2

The FirePower machines are all OpenFirmware -- the orignal NetBSD/powerpc
work was done on a FirePower machine.  (It's now NetBSD/ofppc, of course.)

The FirePower systems had a "veneer.exe" that OFW loaded, which in turn
loaded NT.  "veneer.exe" was just that -- a shim that emulated ARC firmware
for NT.

(I have a FirePower LX -- dual 200MHz 604e -- running NT 4.  I want
to do NetBSD/ofppc hacking on it, but the port has suffered from some
serious bitrot, and I need to find the time to make even the bootloader
work properly again.)

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>