Subject: Re: Questions on IBM RS/6000 model 7006-41T
To: David Rankin <drankin@bohemians.lexington.ky.us>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-prep
Date: 03/22/2001 13:46:25
On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, David Rankin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 03:59:15PM -0800, Matt Thomas wrote:

> > Interest, ya.  But there needs to be a little work
> > done:
>
> > 	1) Add 601 support
> > 	2) Add MCA support (shouldn't be that difficult
> > 	   using the i386 mca support as a base).
>
> And don't forget:
> 	3) Add non-PREP boot support.
>
> The 41T is an "old-style" AIX box, certainly not a PREP or even CHRP box.
> It will take a ton of work to get it going, but a ton that'd be greatly
> appreciated because it'd make the 3xx, 5xx, etc. boxes fairly trivial to
> bring into the fold.

Ah... that's something I was worried about.  So how are these boxes
classified?  They're PowerPC systems, non-PREP, non-CHRP.  Would they
fall into a seperate subcategory like say NetBSD/rs6kppc?

And how much similarity is there between this older style box and the
early RS/6000 systems which predate the use of the PowerPC processor?

Sorry, I know this is probably getting slightly off-topic for this group,
but hopefully someone knows.  My experience with the IBM RS/6000 line has
been limited to some F50s, this 41T, and brief exposure to an SP2.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
Has anyone else had any bad experiences with Mr. Vader or his Empire? -- K.