Subject: Re: IBM 400
To: None <garbled@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Fultz <fultz@fermat.genomics.purdue.edu>
List: port-prep
Date: 11/29/2000 08:47:01
> Duh..  I use physical consoles on AIX so rarely I forgot.. the function keys
> give the different menus..
>
> Try all 10 different function keys and see if any drop you to an OFW prompt.
> F8 or just "8" would be my guess..

Okay, I tried all the function keys last night, and here is what I
came up with:
F1 - Graphical SMS
F2 - Network Utilities (boot options.  I can select which device to
      boot from, and set network information for net boot.)
F4 - Text-based SMS

And as far as I could tell F3 and F5-F12 do nothing.
I couldn't get to any OFW prompt.

> You can also netboot prep, by doing the following:
>
> put this in your /etc/bootptab:
> botein:\
> :sm=255.255.255.0:ht=ethernet:ha=0060949DCDE2:\
> :gw=192.168.10.11:ip=192.168.10.24:bf=boot.fs:rp=/prep/prep/root
>
> Obviously substituting the hardware and other addresses for the correct one.
> The bf, boot.fs, is the same image you should dd onto a floppy.  Since you seem
> to be having trouble using a serial console of any kind.. (bizzare), get the
> non-com0 floppy, put it in /tftpboot, start up bootp, and enable tftpd in
> /etc/inetd.conf, and see what happens when you tell the machine to boot off the
> network.

I'll try setting up netboot stuff soon, and let you know how it goes.

BTW, is there a CHRP image some where that I can try on this machine?

Charles Fultz
fultz