Subject: RE: IBM PS 400
To: None <fultz@fermat.genomics.purdue.edu>
From: Tim Rightnour <garbled@garbled.net>
List: port-prep
Date: 11/11/2000 11:23:01
Hi.   I'm one of the random netbsd developers, and I happen to be
working on the prep port currently.

There are some issues with prep as it stands.. bvut I can help you out with it.

The best way to do development for prep would be a cross-compile environment
from another NetBSD running machine.  Currently I do my prep development
on an alpha.

However..  In order to help you out.. I need some information on your machine..
I want to get a handle on where you are with it, and what works and does not
work at this point.

First.. I assume you have a serial port.  I have never tried to boot prep with
a local video.  Try this kernel:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/prep/snapshot/20000802/binary/kernel/boot_com0-GENERIC.fs

There are two ways to boot this kernel.  1) dd it to a floppy and boot off
the floppy, and 2) put that .fs image on a tftpboot directory, and set up
bootpd for remote boot.

Second..  I'm interested in what sort of firmware you have.  I'd like to see
a log of you going into the firmware, and attempting to boot the floppy image.
This would be easiest for you to do with a serial console attached to serial
port 1 of the machine.

If you can get me this information.. I can determine the relevant data about
your machine..  and perhaps give you a test kernel, and set you up with
some scripts that I use to cross-compile.

Also useful, would be the following data from AIX:

lscfg -vp
lsdev -C | cut -f 1 -d " " | xargs -t -I {} lsattr -El {}
lsdev -C

Tim Rightnour