Re: Software single-stepping for PT_STEP on booke and ibm4xx

On 2021/02/27 0:45, Jason Thorpe wrote:
On Feb 26, 2021, at 1:12 AM, Rin Okuyama <rokuyama.rk%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

Currently, PT_STEP ptrace(2) call on booke and ibm4xx is broken. I'd
like to propose software-based single-stepping for them:

http://www.netbsd.org/~rin/booke_4xx_software_sstep_20210226.patch

With this patch, GDB works perfectly both on booke and 4xx, as far as
I can see. I will commit the patch next week if there's no objection.

:thumbs up:

Thanks!!

(Tangent — is there a good ibm4xx emulator?  I know Qemu does BookE… I do have a Walnut, but it’s in unknown working condition and it takes up space when set up.)

QEMU seems to support 405EP-based reference board by IBM, as well as
AMCC Taihu evaluation board:

https://github.com/qemu/qemu/blob/master/hw/ppc/ppc405_boards.c

But, unfortunately, we don't currently support these boards yet...

Thanks,
rin