Re: semi-random crashes on some macppc hardware

Hello,

On Mon, 16 May 2016 12:38:33 -0500 (CDT)
"John D. Baker" <jdbaker%mylinuxisp.com@localhost> wrote:

> I have for quite some time experienced similar crashes but it was always
> in C/C++ compiler when building packages, particularly those with a long
> list of dependencies to work through.  The system in question is a G4
> PowerMac (AGP Graphics), commonly referred to, IIUC, as "Sawtooth".  It
> boots and runs from local disk.

I've seen these too, I don't think that's related. I've also seen the
gcc ( or other binary ) crashes 'stick' - as in, crashing again in
exactly the same way until rebooted of flushed out of the file cache.

> I applied the patch posted previously and while it does not eliminate
> the problem, it seems to have reduced the frequency to at least the
> prior level.  I have not rebooted the machine following the segfaults,
> but continue to run "make clean clean-depends" before restarting a
> package build.

If you have any core files sitting around, you'll see the crash
happening in a long list of li ...; addi ...; followed by some sort of
branch instruction(s) if it's the problem I tried to fix.

That said, I had all sorts of weird problems with gcc 5.3, not just on
powerpc.

have fun
Michael