re: switching ppc to GCC 4.8

> That's great! Not at all, when it works... :)
>
> IIRC you have the same ofppc hardware like me (Pegasos2), but maybe I can
> test it for other PPC ports (I have bebox, macppc, sandpoint, ibmnws,
> amigappc)?

right.  i also have macppc i haven't tested.

> What do I have to do, what do I need, for testing GCC 4.8 now?

build.sh -V HAVE_GCC=48.

> > but the current system seems to work fine.
>
> Is that also true for NetBSD-7? I tested 7.0beta a few days ago on my
> Pegasos2 and it seemed better at first sight, but ATF pthread-mutex still
> failed.

*that*'s the ABI issue that has had its fix checked in yet, but is
not related to the compiler version.

> >  i initially tested a GCC 4.5
> > kernel, but userland for both works fine for me.
>
> Does that mean a 4.5 and 4.8 userland works fine with a 4.5 kernel, or
> that a userland (with unknown compiler) works fine with a 4.5 and 4.8
> kernel?

actually, my pegasos has had a GCC 4.8 userland for about a year,
but only ever had one kernel that booted (i suspect somethings
are just aligned right), until recently i had been GCC 4.5 kernels
only.

> > is there something else i'm missing?
>
> Did you compare the ATF output of a system compiled with 4.5 with 4.8?
> That seems the easiest way to me for verifying 4.8 is ok.

i didn't compare them recently, but last time i did, the userland
was identical output with a GCC 4.5 kernels.

thanks

.mrg.