Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:42:53 -0500
From: Allen Briggs <briggs%netbsd.org@localhost>
To: Al - Image Hosting Services <azick%zickswebventures.com@localhost>
Cc: Matt Thomas <matt%3am-software.com@localhost>,
port-powerpc%NetBSD.org@localhost
Subject: Re: new powerpc hardware

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 03:29:03PM -0600, Al - Image Hosting Services wrote:
I was under the impression that the 440 was some kind of a PowerPC clone.

There are several different families of PowerPC chips.

The ones I can think of off-hand (I haven't done much with PPC lately):

* Motorola/IBM 60x / G2/G3/G4 series.
* IBM 970 (Apple's "G5")
* Motorola 82xx (really G2/G3 + peripherals)
* Motorola 860 and variants
* Motorola 85xx
* IBM/AMCC 4xx (401, 405, 440, etc.)

Within each family, there are some similiarities, but sometimes some
significant differences, as between the 405 and 440.

The IBM/AMCC 4xx, especially, have a number of differences even between
different chips with the same number.  The 405 and 440 each have a
number of variants with the same CPU core and different integrated
busses and peripherals.  I think Motorola does the same thing with
the 860/82xx/85xx.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs  |  http://www.ninthwonder.com/~briggs/  |