Re: Where arch/bebox/pci/pfb.c?

Michael Lorenz wrote:
>On May 14, 2008, at 01:29, KIYOHARA Takashi wrote:

>> I make the frame buffer of bebox a console.  And, I made boot,
>> boot_com0,
>> and boot_vga.  I booted Matrox Millenium with boot_vga, And S3
>> Trio64 V+
>> with boot.
>>
>>   see. arch/bebox/stand/README
>>

>> However, I learnt pfb (PCI Frame buffer) had disappeared.  Did you
>> delete arch/bebox/pc/pfb.c and arch/bebox/pci/pfbvar.h at the time of
>> merging ppc-oearenovation?  Or, did you move?

>Did it ever exist? Somehow I doubt it since I can't think of a
>generic way to deal with a PCI framebuffer without firmware help. For
>instance, which BAR maps the framebuffer? Or, if you want to use it
>as generic VGA you still need firmware help to enable it, nowhere
>near all PCI graphics chips power up in VGA mode.
>If the BeBox firmware sets up a graphics mode of some sort and you
>can get parameters like video memory address, width, height, stride
>and depth you can simply use genfb.

Do you need the video memory address ?

I tried using genfb on ibmnws today. I hardwired the width, height and
depth properties to match the firmware settings but just entered a dummy
value of 1024 for 'address'. On booting I get:

genfb0 at pci0 dev 4 function 0: S3 Trio64V2/DX
genfb0: framebuffer at 0xc0000400, size 1024x768, depth 8, stride 1024

The screen colours are a bit strange but it does seem to work.

It isn't even obvious that the BARs have been configured, pcictl just shows
them all as "not implemented(?)".

Robert Swindells