RE: Where arch/bebox/pci/pfb.c?

On 14-May-2008 KIYOHARA Takashi wrote:
># First of all, I am giving up to execute POST of VGA with x86emu.  X-<

Heh.. That doesn't suprise me a whole lot.  It looked hard.

> I make the frame buffer of bebox a console.  And, I made boot, boot_com0,
> and boot_vga.  I booted Matrox Millenium with boot_vga, And S3 Trio64 V+
> with boot.
>
>   see. arch/bebox/stand/README
>
> However, I learnt pfb (PCI Frame buffer) had disappeared.  Did you
> delete arch/bebox/pc/pfb.c and arch/bebox/pci/pfbvar.h at the time of
> merging ppc-oearenovation?  Or, did you move?

I deleted it.  Mostly because it was a really old style framebuffer, and it
just didn't look right to me at all.  It should still be in the attic, however,
I think the primary reason I got rid of it was that it was a pcvt console, and
not a wscons console.  I think most of the pcvt stuff is gone, and it just
didn't make sense to keep around.

I think what the correct thing to do in your case, would be to start with
genfb, and get that working.  In theory, it should work with any card, as long
as you know the current display mode of the card.  Once you have a working
console with genfb, then maybe look into writing a proper matroxfb or s3virgefb.

> About POST.
> I have not seen this document though POST reads and writes the memory of
> BIOS of PC/AT though I tried the execution of POST.  Moreover, the called
> INT instruction of each card is a lot, and this information is also little.
> I think that it is difficult to execute libx86emu with computers other
> than PC/AT now.
># I was already tired though I had taught from tsutsui%netbsd.org@localhost
>several
># days ago. X-<

I had heard rumors that there was a bunch of MD code that had to be written to
use it.  I wasn't sure how much or how bad, but I suspected it wasn't pretty.

BTW- Did you ever get a chance to test the unified mkbootimage in
powerpc/stand/mkbootimage?  I'd like to see bebox use that before 5.0 ships.

---
Tim Rightnour <root%garbled.net@localhost>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/