RE: Bebox revives

On 03-Feb-2008 KIYOHARA Takashi wrote:
> I know bebox cannot be booted.  However, I came to be able to boot with
> the serial console by doing some corrections.
>
> I will commit this patch after a few days.

Awesome work.  I've reviewed your patch, and I see no issues with it at all.

> However, the user land did not execute.  init(8) did not execute though
> I tried with binary 4.0 and 2.1 of prep.

I think bebox switched to the unified powerpc majors file.  Sadly, prep has
not, nor was it in 2.1 or 4.0.  Try a -current userland for ofppc as a quick
hack.

> By the way, I have the my great plan.  It is to remove my i386 machine
> (PenIII 1G), and to make bebox the main machine.  ;-)
> I do the cleanup of GENERIC as follows for this.  And try to boot on vga.

I do have one comment on your mkbootimage stuff.  I have some code to unify
makebootimage between prep/bebox/rs6000.  It should be in
powerpc/stand/mkbootimage.  Can you test that code, and if it's broken tell me
how, or fix it?  I'd prefer the three ports shared that one binary in some way.
It makes the tools build easier on everyone if we can get it working.

As for vga, I dunno how annoying bebox is WRT the vga stuff, but you might look
at the new x86emulib stuff that the ACPI people have been playing with.  It
might fix some of your issues there.

---
Tim Rightnour <root%garbled.net@localhost>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/