Re: Hackathon6: OEA PowerPC Hackathon

On Apr 29, 2007, at 8:29 AM, Frank Wille wrote:

Tim Rightnour wrote:

On 28-Apr-2007 Frank Wille wrote:
Yes, that would be helpful. I stopped my work on NetBSD/amigappc some
weeks ago, because scanning the SCSI devices just returned empty
name-strings, for the devices found on the bus. No idea why.

Do you have dmesg or examples of this happening?

No serial console at the moment, so I have to type the screen output. But
the relevant part in my current development version looks like this:

This, and the other messages about "fabricating" typically indicate that your bus_dma back-end is broken.

---8<---
ahsc0 at mainbus0
scsibus0 at ahsc0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
aucc0 at mainbus0
[...]
survived autoconf, going to enable interrupts
0...survived interrupt enable
survived configure
4 views configured
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
ahsc0: target 4 now synchronous, period=252ns, offset=12.
sd0 at scsibus0 target 4 lun 0: <, , > disk fixed
sd0: fabricating a geometry
sd0: 2048, 0 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 2048 bytes/sect x 1 sectors
ahsc0: target 5 now synchronous, period=248ns, offset=7.
sd1 at scsibus0 target 5 lun 0: <, , > disk fixed
sd1: fabricating a geometry
sd1: 2048, 0 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 2048 bytes/sect x 1 sectors
sd2 at scsibus0 target 6 lun 0: <, , > disk fixed
sd2: fabricating a geometry
sd2: 512, 0 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 1 sectors
Boot partition offset is 0
sd2: fabricating a geometry
sd2: rdb scan I/O error
sd1: fabricating a geometry
sd1: rdb scan I/O error
sd0: fabricating a geometry
sd0: rdb scan I/O error
survived findroot()
root device: _
---8<---

So it detects the correct target IDs, even tries to switch to synchronous mode, but doesn't get any information about the name or the geometry of the
disks.

In this case target 4 would have been a CD-ROM, target 5 a CD-writer and 6 a
Zip-drive (sector sizes seem to be correct for those types).

I've seen some pretty
crazy stuff happen because of interrupt code being horked, or io mappings
being in the wrong place.

Or timers not running correctly? Could very well be. I'm not sure if anything
of this works.

I'm by no means a SCSI expert, but I will do my
best to try to get amigappc compiling again and help you with the issues
if someone with hardware is willing to stand up for the port.

Sure. I have done a lot of hacking on amigappc in the beginning of the year
and would appreciate any help to make it boot into multiuser.

I own two CSPPC boards. One in an A3000, the other in an A4000.

Looking at the code, I think the port is fixable, it just needs some
attention.

This is valid for most ports, I guess. :)

There are some really odd things going on in there. I'm not
sure if thats because it's an amiga or not though.

There is a lot of Amiga-specific code, which must be different to other PPC
ports. But there is also some code which is just obsolete now.

What really concerns me
about the code is that it seems to avoid using all the shared powerpc code
and rolls its own.

I have fixed most of this and adapted the code to NetBSD current in the last
months. Before it was not even compiling, not talking about working.

Ignatios Souvatzis (NetBSD/amiga maintainer) has got my patches to have a
look and check them in (some NetBSD/amiga source is also affected).
Unfortunately he didn't have much time to do so...

It's very likely that you might have a completely
different set of problems than other ppc ports do. :)

Hmm... yes. And not much people I can ask then. :|

NetBSD/amigappc was only a training for me, working with hardware I know to get familiar with NetBSD kernel hacking. My real goal is to get NetBSD running
on the Pegasos and the EFIKA... *sigh*

--
   _  Frank Wille (frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost)
_ //  http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/