Subject: Re: IBM 43p model 150
To: Patrick Finnegan <>
From: Jeremie Le Hen <>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 03/03/2007 23:42:53

Thank you for you quick reply.

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 01:47:50PM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> On Saturday 03 March 2007 12:36, you wrote:
> > my company was about to throw away an old IBM 43p model 150 and I
> > hopefully swerved it to my home instead :-).
> > It seems the spec are available here:
> >

> > Currently there is an old AIX 4.3 on it, an OS about which I don't
> > know anything about so I can't gather the actual informations from
> > the running OS.
> lscfg and lsattr should tell you just about anything you want to know
> about the hardware, from inside AIX.

Great.  I didn't know these commands and manual pages are not available
from the running system.  I tried to find them on IBM's website, but I
wasn't able to find my way on it.

> > Since it doesn't have a VGA adapter, I'm doomed to use the serial
> > port.  I burned prepcd-3.1.iso and inserted the CD but I see AIX
> > booting on the serial port.
> You'll need to enter SMS (sort of a bios for newer AIX boxes), by hitting
> the "1" key on your serial terminal when the machine is displaying a
> line of text like this:
>      memory      keyboard     network      scsi      speaker
> Hit the "1" key repeatedly before it says "speaker", and it should dump
> you int SMS, where you can chose what device to boot off of.

Thanks, I couldn't have deduced this myself :-).

> > Since I have always used x86 so far, I didn't use to these less
> > popular platforms.  From what I've managed to read on the archives,
> > NetBSD/prep is not the only platform I can use.  So I would like to
> > know what is the best platform to use on this particular computer.
> >
> > My second question is "Will the CD image switch automatically
> > to the serial console ?"
> I don't think that NetBSD supports that machine too well, as it's a CHRP
> machines not a PReP machine.  I do know that Linux and AIX do support
> it, though.

There are number of NetBSD ports than seems to overlap somehow in this
- prep
- macppc
- ofppc

Do you think either "macppc" or "ofpcc" would fit better for this
computer ?

> I'm sure that the NetBSD/prep people would appreciate any help you could
> give to get NetBSD running on the machine.

I will gladly provide an access to this box and the serial console if
any developper wants to work on it.  Contact me privately for this

Thank you.
Best regards,
Jeremie Le Hen