Subject: Re: NetBSD on FPGA
To: None <port-powerpc@netbsd.org>
From: Maya <sh3.m4y4@gmail.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 01/26/2007 16:43:06
Jean-Francois Boudreault <jfboudre <at> gel.ulaval.ca> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get NetBSD boot on a Xilinx FPGA board with PPC405
> processor. I started my port from evbppc-port but I can't get any
> output on serial port when booting my netbsd image on the board.
>
> - I got Montavista Linux to boot on the board, I know we need to
> generate librairies from Xilinx EDK and use them for kernel
> compiltation. The libairies contain the hardware configuration from
> FPGA (like uart base address, etc.). Do I need to setup these
> hardware addresses in NetBSD kernel and where do I put them in the
> evbppc-port sources before compiling the kernel?
>
> - The board can boot a zImage elf file from Linux kernel compilation.
> Can I use directly netbsd kernel file or do I need to put the kernel
> in some other format?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jean-Francois Boudreault
> Laval University
> Quebec, Canada

Hi Jean,

I saw your posting regarding getting Montavista Linux to boot on Xilinx FPGA
board with PPC405. I am currently trying to do the same thing on Xilinx ML403
board, but I am stuck on the part where Montavista Linux is loading its kernel
configuration. It stops at: "Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k init.
nfs: server 192.168.1.137 not responding, still trying" The nfs and dhcp are
running properly. Did you ever encounter this problem before? Thank you in
advance.

Maya