Subject: Re: handling of firmware calls (Efika boots)
To: Aymeric Vincent <vincent@labri.fr>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 01/11/2007 11:10:52
Aymeric Vincent wrote:
> Frank Wille <frank@phoenix.owl.de> writes:
>
>> BTW, some days ago I did an NFS-boot on my Efika as well, but, IIRC, there
>> were problems creating and populating the /dev directory.
>
> It complained that /dev/console was missing, but "./MAKEDEV all" on
> the host in the /etc directory of the Efika fixed it as usual.
> Are you seeing other lossage?
>
> My problem now is that the way the kernel interacts with the open
> firmware driver for the ethernet chip makes it extremely slow, and it
> eventually hangs after loading /sbin/init (waited for it a whole night).
>
>> Would it make sense to create a powerpc/52xx directory, as with ibm4xx?
>> There is no 5200-support at the moment, AFAICS.

No.

> I'm not sure yet what is best, choosing the right name would need some
> culture of the forthcoming naming of chips from freescale... (I saw
> Matt's comment) I didn't look at the doc deeply enough to know if the
> way the registers are mapped make them very similar to pre-existing
> (non SoC) chips.

there shouldn't be a special directory for it.  It's simple a 603 (OEA).

> In the same vein, would anyone have a strong view on where to put RTAS
> support? It depends on open firmware only for bootstrapping so maybe
> it's not a good idea to put it under dev/ofw/rtas/?

Doesn't that assume it's going to be big?  It seems rtas should be, at most,
one or two files.  powerpc/powerpc seems as long as all the rtas program
begin with rtas_

--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/