Re: boot NetBSD using u-boot

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 01:48:50PM -0700, Sam Pham wrote:
> I'd like to port NetBSD on the mpc8540eval board,
> which has u-boot on it.  My understanding is that
> u-boot needs the stage 2 NetBSD loader to boot NetBSD.

That seems to be what it wants, but you can also just download
kernel code and jump to it ('tftp' and 'go').

The stage 2 loader usually lives in arch/<plat>/stand/...
and is different for each system because it's kind of a
bridge between the kernel and the host system.  It might
have knowledge of devices and filesystem formats that the
host system's ROM (u-boot, in your case) doesn't.

It's not clear to me why the 'stage 2 loader' that uboot
expects couldn't be a kernel for development.  A stage 2
loader would be really nice for being able to store the
kernel on, say, a SATA controller on PCI or some such,
but for development, you're probably just downloading
with an ICE or via tftp.

-allen

--
                  Use NetBSD!  http://www.NetBSD.org/