Subject: Followup: MCHK exception in -current with MMU off
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 04/03/2005 20:29:25
[please see
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-powerpc/2005/03/24/0000.html for
details]

hi,

today i did a little testing on my G4 regarding this issue.

the point is that an _unoptimized_ kernel (i.e., building the kernel
w/o any settings in /etc/mk.conf) crashes while booting the machine
(please follow that URL above for details), while

i) a kernel built with mcpu=7400 and/or mtune=7400,

ii) a kernel built with -maltivec and/or -mabi=altivec, and

iii) a kernel built with -O3

as well as _any combination_ of the above mentioned optimizations lead
to a _running_ (and rock solid) machine.

last tested with 3.99.3 from today.

if i can do anything to help fixing this, please mail me.

cheers,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@macfinity.net
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.