Re: anyone using MPC8260, 8270, 8280 ?

At 07:25 PM 3/18/2005, Zdenek Radouch wrote:

I inherited a Linux/MPC8270 project and after a while of debugging,
and having scoped everything I would have to fix, I am seriously
considering switching to NetBSD and investing my time there,
both because I am familiar with the BSD code, and because
I need a reliable kernel and stack.

I am trying to evaluate how much work it would take to port
everything, and what problems I would likely face.
I have a pretty good idea about the device drivers
(since I wrote them myself), but I need to understand in what state
the kernel proper port is for PowerQUICCII (MPC8260, 8270, 8280).

I have 8260 code but I've never finished it.

I know there is an old 8260 port, but I need a recent and first-hand
experience. If you are running NetBSD on one of these processors,
I'd love to hear from you, especially any comments on the kernel
stability.

I think you'll have a quite a bit of work to add 8260 support.  However,
since the 865x use devices quite close to those in the 8260, its probably
worth resurrecting it.

--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt%3am-software.com@localhost
3am Software Foundry              www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/