Subject: Re: anyone using MPC8260, 8270, 8280 ?
To: None <port-powerpc@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 03/18/2005 19:39:01
At 07:25 PM 3/18/2005, Zdenek Radouch wrote:

>I inherited a Linux/MPC8270 project and after a while of debugging,
>and having scoped everything I would have to fix, I am seriously
>considering switching to NetBSD and investing my time there,
>both because I am familiar with the BSD code, and because
>I need a reliable kernel and stack.
>
>I am trying to evaluate how much work it would take to port
>everything, and what problems I would likely face.
>I have a pretty good idea about the device drivers
>(since I wrote them myself), but I need to understand in what state
>the kernel proper port is for PowerQUICCII (MPC8260, 8270, 8280).

I have 8260 code but I've never finished it.

>I know there is an old 8260 port, but I need a recent and first-hand
>experience. If you are running NetBSD on one of these processors,
>I'd love to hear from you, especially any comments on the kernel
>stability.

I think you'll have a quite a bit of work to add 8260 support.  However,
since the 865x use devices quite close to those in the 8260, its probably
worth resurrecting it.

--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/