Subject: Re: IBM NetVista
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 02/15/2005 10:05:18
On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:03:46AM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> > Secondly will they be binary compatible with my Super Mac?
> Yes, you can run the same PPC userland binary on all NetBSD PPC
> machines. (AFAIK)

I do not disagree, but I will note that some PPC systems have
hardware FPUs while others do not.  So binaries compiled with
floating-point support (the default) require the kernel FP
emulation, which will slow them down considerably on those
systems.

So for maximum compatibility, compile with -msoft-float.  If
you're only worried about 60x, 7xx, 7xxx, and 824x, CPUs, then
don't worry about it.  IBM 4xx, and Motorola PowerQUICC series
don't have FPUs.

-allen

--
                  Use NetBSD!  http://www.netbsd.org/