Subject: Re: CPU speed management API
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 01/24/2005 10:39:50
--Y7xTucakfITjPcLV

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 06:50:42PM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> >And what exactly is sysmon?
> Ok.
[...]

Thanks for the description.

> Yah, I ought to write a sysmon(9) manual page.

Yes.  That's what I was clumsily hinting at...  :-)
Thanks.

> >I see it in src/sys/dev/sysmon, but its hard to know what it should
> >be unless it's documented.  envsys still has the "This API is
> >experimental and may be deprecated at any time" note on it and:
>=20
> Eh, I don't really agree with that.  It's pretty well entrenched now,=20

We should update the docs, then.

> and while the argument could be made for sysctl'ing it now that we have=
=20
> a better sysctl, I think the interface should still be provided through=
=20
> sysmon.

I think this is reasonable, and something I was considering while
looking through this stuff.

> I'm not familiar with cpufreq(9), but it's certainly reasonable to mine=
=20
> it for ideas for a similar subsystem in sysmon.  So long as the API is=20
> generic enough to represent different configuration models for this=20
> type of thing.

I'll take a look at drawing up a proposal for this and posting on
tech-kern.

-allen

--=20
                  Use NetBSD!  http://www.netbsd.org/