Subject: re: CPU specific Idle() function in locore_subr.S
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 01/22/2005 13:01:31
   On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 04:11:37PM -0500, Tim Kelly wrote:
   > come up. We've located at least one and possibly two MPC7447A equipped
   > Powerbooks, and I know that Emmanuel Dreyfus has expressed an interest
   > in improving power saving mode in PBs.

   It might be useful to look at how modern Intel mobile chips use
   "SpeedStep" or "Enhanced SpeedStep" or whatever they call it.
   I suspect it's similar to how the 7447A and 7448 can operate.
   If so, it would be nice to have similar sysctl(?) handling.

what we REALLY need is someone to implement cpufreq(9) ala
linux.  then we can have a standard API to these features
and use all the currently existing tools that talk this API.

the current legion of different sysctl's per-style really
should go away and a uniform API introduced, and i can't see
any reason why linux cpufreq(9) doesn't fit the bill.

my 2c anyway.  :-)

.mrg.