Console Panic after Kernel comes up - in cons.c ...

Hi all,

porting 2.0 current to a 750 PowerPC HW platform we
focus the following problems.

-- actual situation : Kernel comes up but 'panics'
   saying "panic: cnopen: no console device" ...

   We have a HW that has a minimal BIOS. i.e. we don't
   need to initialize any serial port in "com.c". The
   Only thing we do is filling up the structure:

   -- begin snip from com.c

/*
 * Following are all routines needed for COM to act as console
 */
struct consdev comcons = {
        NULL, NULL, comcngetc, comcnputc, comcnpollc, NULL, NULL, NULL,
        NODEV, CN_NORMAL
};

-- end snip from com.c

however in cons.c the kernel checks if cn_tab->cn_dev ...

-- begin snip from cons.c

        cndev = cn_tab->cn_dev;
        if (cndev == NODEV) {
                /*
                 * This is most likely an error in the console attach
                 * code. Panicing looks better than jumping into nowhere
                 * through cdevsw below....
                 */
                panic("cnopen: no console device");

-- end snip cons.c

... is being set to "NODEV" .. the initial setting ...

So, we don't wantr to reinitialize the HW - UART ports, is
it sufficient call : cn_tab->cn_dev = makedev(0, 0);

in order to use the very same serial port for the kernel boot
sequence afterwards in the usermode for communication?

Thank's in advance

Markus