Re: First experience with PegasosPPC

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:59:19 -0700
Matt Thomas <matt%3am-software.com@localhost> wrote:

> The good news is that ofppc's ofwboot works just fine.
I found a bug (to small stack size) in it about 1.5 years ago when I
started to play with port-ofppc...

> The bad news is a GENERIC ofppc kernel (not unsurprisingly) goes off
> into never never land.
[...]
> root addr=192.168.7.52 path=/clients/pegasos/root
> 2281616+329408 [121472+107554]=0x2b58d0
>   start=0x100000
Maybe this is the same bug that I noticed about 1.5 years back. There
where some modifications to the pmap and ofw interface code short after
the 1.6 release. port-ofppc is broken since then. I traced this with the
good, old debug printf metod and the kernel hangs in pmap_init(). Can
you try a plain, old 1.6 kernel?

> The amount of information in the OFW tree compared to other systems
> I've seen is extremely limited.  However, there is CHRP RTAS support
> (RTAS is the IBM defined run-time-abstraction-services) and it would
> make life much easier for ofppc systems if NetBSD could use it.
Well, RTAS would be fine. But I would prefere to get real PCI/ISA
attachments first. I extended the existing firepower code for the
Motorola PowerStack II and the IBM RS/6000 B50 so that I can use the
generic NetBSD PCI and ISA drivers. But there is some strange problem
with PCI in the PowerStack II. It seems to be related to PCI memory
space access. I have the PowerStack II runing single user with a kernel
attached ram disk. - Only to notice yet an other problem: non-working
softintr(9)... The B50 has other problems in addition...
--

tschüß,
       Jochen