Subject: Re: First experience with PegasosPPC
To: None <port-ofppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Dale Rahn <drahn@dalerahn.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 04/17/2004 08:59:01
On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 10:59:19PM -0700, Matt Thomas wrote:
> [Here is the first non-spam posting to port-ofppc for 2004!]
>
> I received my PegasosPPC system yesterday.  Currently I have plugged
> into
> a terminal server (8N1@115200) to see what I can see.  The good news is
> that ofppc's ofwboot works just fine.  The bad news is a GENERIC ofppc
> kernel (not unsurprisingly) goes off into never never land.
>
> PegasosII Boot Strap (c) 2002-2003 bplan GmbH
> Running on CPU PVR:80020101
> Enable L1 ICache...
> Done.

Ok, I admit that I am biased, but I would recommend staying away from Pegasos.

I have attempted to deal with the people involved, Genesi is very free
with promises and very rare in following up with said promises. Genesi,
however has _nothing_ to do with the design, development, and fixing of
the hardware. All of the hardware work (and Openfirmware development) is
done by bplan-gmbh.de. I (as an employee of Genesi) was nearly completely
ignored by bplan on any problem reports or enhancement requests.

When dealing with both Genesi and bplan I had attempted to give them every
chance to make things better, but finally gave up.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=108028112117093&w=2

I hope this is not taken as spam but as information about the people you will
be dealing with.

For anyone who does not recognize the name, I have been the primary
OpenBSD/powerpc developer for many years.

BTW when working on OpenBSD/pegasos, It was necessary to move the bootloader
and kernel (on the pegasos I) because openfirmware continued using memory
which was not 'claimed' by the firmware. Of the 3 or 4 implementations of
Openfirmware I have used, this is certainly the worst.

Dale Rahn				drahn@dalerahn.com