Subject: Re: PowerPC 601 Support
To: None <port-powerpc@NetBSD.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 01/31/2004 10:20:50
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:37:46 -0800
Kirill Levchenko <kirill@lava.net> wrote:

> 2. Is there a document that describes how NetBSD uses BAT registers?
I would like to know this as well.

> 3. (Tool question) How do I cross-compile individual parts of a
> system?=20
First build the tools with somthing like this:
./build.sh -m macppc -D /usr/src-current/destdir/macppc \
	-O /usr/src-current/objdir/macppc \
	-T /usr/src-current/tooldir=20
	-R /usr/src-current/releasedir -U tools
(You may not need -D and -R but my script gives it everytime to
build.sh, so it doesn't hurt.)

cd to the top of the NetBSD source tree and run:
/usr/src-current/tooldir/bin/nbmake-macppc obj
To create the object directorys. AFAIK you need to run it from top of
the source tree to actually create the directorys. It will not create
directories when run in a subdirectory. (You may run cleandir first to
clean up the source.) Then you can cd into individual directorys and run
"nbmake-macppc includes depend all" (Or dependall or what ever needed.
Sorry, I don't know better. Usually I build entire releases or only
kernels.)

ofwboot.xcf should be entirely self contained, so no need to build libc
etc. first. The Makefile should be smart enough to automagicly build the
needed parts of the kernel libs.

If you want to build a kernel edit a kernel config file, run build.sh
with the kernel=3Dmycfg option or do it by hand:
nbconfig -b /mybuilddir/... -s /usr/src-current/src/sys mycfg
cd /mybuilddir/...
nbmake-macppc depend && nbmake-macppc netbsd

> 5. My build environment is an Ultra2. I've heard of some problems when
>=20
> cross-building 32-bit architectures on UltraSparc.=20
I had various problems cross building acros the LP32 - LP64 boundary in
the GCC 2.95 days. GCC 3.3.2 seams to handle this much better. Though
there seem to be some issues left in the hppa target.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen