Subject: Re: netbsd on OSX
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 10/09/2003 14:10:37
On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 01:02 PM, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> On 2003.10.09 20:42 Matt Thomas wrote:
>
> [Moved from port-powerpc@NetBSD.org over here]
>
>>> Someone using Mac OSX for netbsd cross-development?
>> Some do.
>>> Or what is the best platform for cross-developing
>>> to a 8260 ppc platform...
>> NetBSD of course.  The faster the better. :)
> Speaking of "foreign" build environments: Shouldn't NetBSD be buildable
> on any (POSIX) *IX?
>
> I tried to build on an Octane/IRIX and on an Alpha/Tru64 and had not
> much success. The trouble starts with nbmake that wants asprintf(3)
> that
> is not available on IRIX and Tru64.

I'd bug report that.  So libcompat can add it.

> Even worse: IRIX has no BSD
> vfork(2). From IRIX fork(2)
>      It should also be noted that this vfork
>      is NOT and DOES NOT have the same semantics as the original BSD
> vfork.

Ditto.  We should be able to use fork if vfork is not available.

> And I needed to use /usr/local/bin/ksh (== pdksh) to execute
> build.sh...

On Tru64, you need to use the posix shell.  I'm sure the same is true
for IRIX.
--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/