Subject: "G5" (IBM970) support (or lack thereof)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org, port-powerpc@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 06/23/2003 11:43:59
As you may know, Apple announces PowerMacs based on the IBM970
PPC64 cpu.  NetBSD does not support this chip since it requires
changes to the OEA pmap which I wrote.  I've made the needed
modification but have yet to test them since I can't get my
Power3 machine to stop in open firmware.

Note that the above changes where in a 64bit kernel.  To get
a 32bit kernel which support both PPC32 and PPC64 will need
further development.  I hadn't concentrated on that since the
platform I was worried about didn't need mixed kernels.

[Now if some kind soul could expedite a new G5 Mac, I have all of
next week to work on it.  Or could tell me how to get my 43P-260
to not boot AIX I'd be a happy person.  I'd prefer the former of
course.]