Subject: Re: supported cpus list?
To: None <port-powerpc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 04/21/2003 11:19:26
On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 01:29:33PM -0400, Allen Briggs wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 09:55:26AM -0700, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
>
> > I see a number of different ports to some powerpc-based eval boards
> > and whatnot, but nothing about which CPUs are supported by the
> > underlying code.
>
> This is largely because a working system includes much more than
> the CPU--so whether the CPU's supported or not doesn't mean really
> anything about whether a machine is supported.  That and there are
> a reasonably large number of variants of different CPUs that probably
> work fine or would be approximately trivial to add.  ...and no one's
> taken the time to gather a list of which do work.  You can get a
> pretty good clue by looking at some of the source files in the
> kernel, though.  Did you have a specific one in mind?

I do realize that the CPU is not necessarily the biggest part of it, but
it's one less variable when noodling over future projects; i'd probably
start with one of the eval boards that's already supported (assuming
I can get my hands on a few), but it's nice to know the pieces that are
already there vs. what might be left to do to support a new
board.

Anyway, John Gordon's list that he just compiled is quite helpful,
and is now in the email archives, as well! (THANKS JOHN!)

+j

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz