Subject: Re: IBM NetStation 1000 Port
To: Okke Wald <okke.wald@ki.comcity.de>
From: John Gordon <john_94501@yahoo.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 04/12/2003 00:23:53
Hello,

> I have some of these clients too and I have played a little bit with the
> macppc port of NetBSD some times ago. It was possible to use programms from
> this port including compiler. But unfortunately I don't know how to compile a
>
> suitable elf kernel image for this clients.

Well, I have compiled a standard PREP install kernel so far using the standard
build.sh method. Next I plan to make whatever changes are necessary to add this
thin client as a new platform within the prep port since that appears to be the
one chosen for the Linux port. I may change that later if I determine that it
isn't really a PREP compliant device, but for now that is my assumption.

I have both the Linux kernel and the official IBM OS image for the device to
work with. I'm hoping that will provide me with enough information to at least
get the build portion correct, as well as this special signature the boot
firmware is looking for. I'll keep everybody posted on my progress...

> I am much more interested in a Linux port. You said that you have found a
> linux port. Can you give me some links? I was looking for a linux port but
> haven't found it. Is it working including VGA, sound etc? I am very happy to
> hear that there is a linux port!!

There is a patch that can be applied to the stock 2.4.19 kernel available from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/networkstation - there is very little
documentation, but there are some posts in the forums for this project that
explain the installation and build process, and some emails in the mailing list
archives.

I have that kernel built and booted, and it worked as far as getting to the
root file system. Then it stopped as I didn't have a root file system that I
could make work (perhaps you'll have more luck with the one on the sourceforge
site - if so, please let me know what you did to get it working ;-).

As for VGA and sound support, I believe that both of these are being worked on,
though I don't know about the progress in that area (the kernel I booted
certainly did something with the video system as I got a penguin displayed in
the top left of the screen).

Rgds,
John...

=====